HomePortalRegisterPublic FFRLog in

Share | 

Critical Thinking Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
~Zeta~

PostSubject: Critical Thinking Question   November 29th 2009, 2:59 pm

Why do we need to post something about critical thinking, like a question about life? Are we eager to share our ideas? Hoping to convince some others to your ideology? In hopes of finding acceptance? Why do we need to question someone's ideas? Is that we want to understand or want to think we understand? Is it just a mindset that others need to explain what they do or why they do? Is it just a time filler for us? Is it just a question that cannot be answered entirely by one person or by the masses? What is it that makes it a critical question? Every question is complex, no? There are no short answers to thoughts and answers. One word answers only tell half of the answers worth. Full answers do not answer fully. Every answer is impartial. Yet we need to ask question to be perfected in mind about ideas and thoughts? Is it that we want to dispute someone's thoughts so we can substitute our own with a reason to share? Are we that desperate to seek knowledge to find out about others rather than evaluating one's self?

What do you think?

[09:59:00] kjwkjw : "omg 24th trill --- whew it's ove-- omg rainbow stream -- whew it's ov-- omg minijacks -- whew it's ove-- omg quad -- whew the song's ove-- omg placeholder note *dies"
Back to top Go down
Shadow Dancer

Location : the edge of the curse of reason and the blessing of insanity

PostSubject: Re: Critical Thinking Question   June 29th 2010, 7:27 am

personally i just have the terrible bothersome problem of wanting to know everything my brain always storing useless random bits of knowledge about peoples lives or obscure facts i learned from books or television that being said im also not very observant which is kind of self-defeating in that. Also my mind when i choose to use it has always been praised as being quite inteligent and i enjoy excersising it upon occasion and i cant fall asleep and i have been up since 10 am yesterday and im bored lol any reason perhaps all of them will work for others. Mainly humanity despite living in an otherwise completly chaotic world cannot stand chaos and therefore must limit it with laws and rules question for there part help make new laws and rules or further clarify the existing laws and rules thereby limiting the choas that is i believe sometimes the worlds natural order. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.world-weary-angel.deviantart.com
ƒoxƒire667

PostSubject: Re: Critical Thinking Question   July 1st 2010, 7:01 pm

I feel that we as humans, have a natural lust for knowledge to make our lives both easier, and to cope with the fact that we can never truly understand everything around us. It is with this lust for answer and reasoning though, that people actually begin to disregard proof for something's truth, and tend to believe anything that will give them an answer to questions that we don't have real answers for. The general human populous tends to be insecure about themselves and how they interact with the world around them, so it is natural for us to want to interact with large groups of people to give answers on a single question or topic so that we can feel more secure in our own, or someone else's views that we may take into our own view.

Also, we like to feel important as humans, and with that, an opportunity to share one's thoughts with a general populous can substitute for this feeling. It helps us cope with every day life to reason with the world, and with others within it. So in essence, the general reason I feel people like to collaborate on such "deep" or "important" topics, is merely for both self security and acceptance into the society around us, and also to feel as though we have answers to things we that may not be as black and white as we want them to be.

Finally, for all questions being not truly or completely answered, there are questions out there than can be answered solely on just a few words and be done with, but not as many as we'd like there to be. For pretty much any inquiry about how one should do things, or how things around the world work, there are always many more variables than what one might guess at face value. For every choice, there are a practically infinite number of answers and reasons why based on the opinions of the person asked the question. We as a society though, tend to look at a question, and give ourselves an answer based on a popular basis, so that way we can keep things moving along. We have generally figured out that, trying to figure out what should be done based on ALL opinions is generally an impossible task...and that we needed to do what seemed to be right for the majority of the populous.

"The needs of the many, exceed the needs of the one"

I think that about sums up my opinion of these questions...but, there are still so many more sides to this I have probably not even considered. More responses will come, and a general answer(s) could be eventually formed based off of them, to keep life going...and to keep us all sane and secure as a society. Just like we've done throughout all history.
Back to top Go down
http://www.killercameraproductions.com
Frankie

PostSubject: Re: Critical Thinking Question   July 1st 2010, 8:02 pm

Hey Mikey. Knowledge is life/power/presence/sanity/etc. Without knowledge we are nothing. The human brain is constantly taking in data and producing it in everyday situations. Without knowledge our brain is basically useless, we couldn't speak cause our brain functions that. We couldn't walk, same as before. etc etc. So technically we're not desperate for knowledge, in all essence it's natural to want to learn.
Back to top Go down
Shadow Dancer

PostSubject: Re: Critical Thinking Question   July 1st 2010, 11:27 pm

true im not so sure the government has really found out that we cant please everyone yet though all i see them doing nowadays is trying to please everyone and just pissing everyone off
Back to top Go down
~Zeta~

PostSubject: Re: Critical Thinking Question   July 2nd 2010, 3:52 pm

Nice post Fox.

Frankie:

I agree with the natural want to learn. But to question about some ideas of another thing is different. Like the Racist thread. I.e. Why do people become or are racist? What could possibly trigger them into hating/disapproving people? The question to this that I don't understand is that why we need to know those answers and why do we ask them.

Another turn on this is why do people ask impossible questions like 'how was that roller coaster?' Obviously that's impossible to answer but we try.

[09:59:00] kjwkjw : "omg 24th trill --- whew it's ove-- omg rainbow stream -- whew it's ov-- omg minijacks -- whew it's ove-- omg quad -- whew the song's ove-- omg placeholder note *dies"
Back to top Go down
ƒoxƒire667

PostSubject: Re: Critical Thinking Question   July 3rd 2010, 1:01 am

Thanks, also replying to your most recent post's questions:

Well to start off with, people are accustomed and build a foundation around their upbringing, so when people notice something that does not meet their normal standard according to these factors they have been raised by, it tends to make them question why something is happening, and usually in a negative way. For example, let's imagine two children, say one is brought up in a free part of a country, while another is raised in an enslaved area. These children will eventually take in these beliefs as normal, and will grow up with these beliefs as something that is not only natural, but also RIGHT. So as these two meet each other and see their parts of the land for the first time, they would question each other about why their society has these different qualities, and why they believe that they should be doing what they are doing. So taking this into consideration, when someone who has been brought up in a society where it is wrong to discriminate against people, it is human nature to question that which does not confirm to this normal state of being for this person. If we are taught one thing, and someone else goes against it, it makes us want to question why it is done...when on the same token, the person who you are questioning, is probably thinking the same way about you.

"Why do you enslave these people?"
"Why do you let these people roam free?"

That question sounds more opinion oriented more than it does actually sound "impossible" per say. Although, people do tend to ask questions that they know they will never truly find the answer to, and they do it why? Well, I can't possibly answer for EVERYONE, but in most cases people tend to ask questions they know they will not receive a true answer for mainly for either an emotional release, or because they want to believe that someone, somewhere, can honestly help them answer their question.

*screams* "Why wasn't I there just one minute earlier?!? I could have saved him if I was there just one...minute...why not ME instead of him?"

Although the person knows he won't get a real answer for why he wasn't there or why he wasn't killed instead, he outwardly yells out his questions for an emotional release, in vein of what has just happened.

"Who is our real god?"
Although this person may not receive factual information, they believe that someone, somewhere, can give them an answer for their question.

...also there are times when people ask impossible or silly questions to gain emotional uplifting at times. Not truly expecting an answer, but to confuse others for their amusement.

"If I am hungry, and it's 8PM, what month is it?"
Obviously, this question has no real ability to be correctly answered based on the information given...but it's oddity could make the questioner laugh upon seeing the person's reaction to hearing it.

Finally, Shadow Dancer, the US government is supposedly a democracy, as we choose our leaders, but what they do is not always in ALL of the population's favor...and in pretty much every scenario, if the president or any official says "YES" or "NO" it will piss off a large party of people, and you will hear about the negative MUCH more than the positive. With this being said, it always seems like the government sucks, but in reality, if all of the decisions we're reversed...I would assume just as many people would be angry. Plus with the economy down...we love to shove the blame right down the president's throat...even if they actually HELPED get the economy back up 5% or 10% over the past 4 years. Although there are many issues that surround politics, I would say around 90% of Americans keep this one thing in mind:

Economy good = Good president / government
Economy bad = Bad president / government

We all like money, simple enough.
Back to top Go down
~Zeta~

PostSubject: Re: Critical Thinking Question   July 3rd 2010, 1:23 am

foxfire667 wrote:
Thanks, also replying to your most recent post's questions:

Well to start off with, people are accustomed and build a foundation around their upbringing, so when people notice something that does not meet their normal standard according to these factors they have been raised by, it tends to make them question why something is happening, and usually in a negative way. For example, let's imagine two children, say one is brought up in a free part of a country, while another is raised in an enslaved area. These children will eventually take in these beliefs as normal, and will grow up with these beliefs as something that is not only natural, but also RIGHT. So as these two meet each other and see their parts of the land for the first time, they would question each other about why their society has these different qualities, and why they believe that they should be doing what they are doing. So taking this into consideration, when someone who has been brought up in a society where it is wrong to discriminate against people, it is human nature to question that which does not confirm to this normal state of being for this person. If we are taught one thing, and someone else goes against it, it makes us want to question why it is done...when on the same token, the person who you are questioning, is probably thinking the same way about you.

"Why do you enslave these people?"
"Why do you let these people roam free?"

That question sounds more opinion oriented more than it does actually sound "impossible" per say. Although, people do tend to ask questions that they know they will never truly find the answer to, and they do it why? Well, I can't possibly answer for EVERYONE, but in most cases people tend to ask questions they know they will not receive a true answer for mainly for either an emotional release, or because they want to believe that someone, somewhere, can honestly help them answer their question.

*screams* "Why wasn't I there just one minute earlier?!? I could have saved him if I was there just one...minute...why not ME instead of him?"

Although the person knows he won't get a real answer for why he wasn't there or why he wasn't killed instead, he outwardly yells out his questions for an emotional release, in vein of what has just happened.

"Who is our real god?"
Although this person may not receive factual information, they believe that someone, somewhere, can give them an answer for their question.

...also there are times when people ask impossible or silly questions to gain emotional uplifting at times. Not truly expecting an answer, but to confuse others for their amusement.

"If I am hungry, and it's 8PM, what month is it?"
Obviously, this question has no real ability to be correctly answered based on the information given...but it's oddity could make the questioner laugh upon seeing the person's reaction to hearing it.

Finally, Shadow Dancer, the US government is supposedly a democracy, as we choose our leaders, but what they do is not always in ALL of the population's favor...and in pretty much every scenario, if the president or any official says "YES" or "NO" it will piss off a large party of people, and you will hear about the negative MUCH more than the positive. With this being said, it always seems like the government sucks, but in reality, if all of the decisions we're reversed...I would assume just as many people would be angry. Plus with the economy down...we love to shove the blame right down the president's throat...even if they actually HELPED get the economy back up 5% or 10% over the past 4 years. Although there are many issues that surround politics, I would say around 90% of Americans keep this one thing in mind:

Economy good = Good president / government
Economy bad = Bad president / government

We all like money, simple enough.

You like details.

The government is supposed to be a Democracy but overal, it's not. The people in congress basically are the people of the United States. Even in voting for the President isn't a democracy. Going by electorals is stupid. One would think a democracy means majority, so why not go by the popular vote? I've seen way too many flaws in this. In the big populus states (NY, for example), one election had the votes basically split, but the win and ALL of the electorals goes to ONE candidate. BS I would say.

Most of the drama between the population and the government is mostly over beliefs. The economical issues are different. Expert economists were just taking guesses on what might work. They probably knew they didn't know what was going to happen. They just repeated what FDR did in the Great Depression. It doesn't take a genius to see that FDR's plan didn't really work out, but they kept spending and spending. Again, those decisions are kept out of the people's hands because we aren't good enough to make decisions for the country. I honestly think it'd be easier for the population to vote on bills and stuff just so the people can blame themselves for screwing up. Being a government official just sucks because of all the media and the shark reporters waiting for some gruesome or terrible news.

Anyway, done with government rant.

You like details.
And we're straying from the main topic lol.

From what I remember from posting this question, the basic question of all of this is why do we question and need to know answers or give answers?

I don't think curiosity is the cause of this. I don't quite agree with natural want to learn (after thinking about this). I feel as though it's a sense of superiority that EVERY person has. I have never seen a question about life answered with negative feedback about the answerer. Only after someone else says something does the previous answerer counter or reflect on the post to give understanding to what they're saying.

This is beginning to sound like a paradox.
Back to top Go down
Shadow Dancer

PostSubject: Re: Critical Thinking Question   July 3rd 2010, 2:48 am

lol i must agree with you Z i dont know why we dont use populars instead of electorals i think its silly cant say much though since the pres is my boss now Sad lol
Back to top Go down
kmay

PostSubject: Re: Critical Thinking Question   July 3rd 2010, 8:26 am

the lust for knowledge is based off of us feeling empty if we dont understand something. this has happened to me several times, in chem, or physics i would just NOT be able to understand a lesson and i would ask questions and stay for extra help till I learned it and understood why it was used. We ask questions for the soul purpose of not having the feeling of helplessness. We want to be independent as a human. From the dawn of the human era. we have never wanted the help of someone, although it is necessary at times. Questions help us tackle our problems and find out easier ways to so something.

say we need to move this heavy box up a mountain. normally you would need a large group of people to move it up there, but TA-DA we now have a pulley that make that job a much smaller group of people.

asking questions is a way to perfect what we know and to grasp things that we need to know. its not a natural thing because in some cases no on cares to learn more about it. which is why we have dead languages. it dies because we moved on from it and no one wants to question what happened and even if we did there is no way to translate it.

However, we have been trying to translate the Mayan language a lot more than we have recently, because of the whole 2012 scare people feel helpless. If someone predicted the end of the world, wouldn't you be trying to figure out what it is?
Back to top Go down
ƒoxƒire667

PostSubject: Re: Critical Thinking Question   July 3rd 2010, 1:58 pm

~Zograscope~ wrote:

You like details.

The government is supposed to be a Democracy but overal, it's not. The people in congress basically are the people of the United States. Even in voting for the President isn't a democracy. Going by electorals is stupid. One would think a democracy means majority, so why not go by the popular vote? I've seen way too many flaws in this. In the big populus states (NY, for example), one election had the votes basically split, but the win and ALL of the electorals goes to ONE candidate. BS I would say.

Most of the drama between the population and the government is mostly over beliefs. The economical issues are different. Expert economists were just taking guesses on what might work. They probably knew they didn't know what was going to happen. They just repeated what FDR did in the Great Depression. It doesn't take a genius to see that FDR's plan didn't really work out, but they kept spending and spending. Again, those decisions are kept out of the people's hands because we aren't good enough to make decisions for the country. I honestly think it'd be easier for the population to vote on bills and stuff just so the people can blame themselves for screwing up. Being a government official just sucks because of all the media and the shark reporters waiting for some gruesome or terrible news.

The government is no where near a true democracy, as if it were, every single person in the entire country would have to vote and decide on everything we do. This would be rather hectic, or it WOULD have been back in the older days (as now we have computers and the internet, so anyone could vote on a bill straight from their own home at this point instead of go down to their town hall and cast votes on paper that would have to be tallied and submitted to DC and added up with every town in the US to come up with a winner). So we decided (at that time) it would be easier to vote on our leaders and then have them vote or pass / veto motions based on how the rest of the nation feels about it.

The electoral college is idiotic, and needs to be removed. We have the power to tally votes with no effort at all at this point, and this would simulate a democracy much better than what we have been doing all of these years. It is something I want to look into soon...maybe try to get the attention of some people about it when times seem a little less hectic. It seems wrong to me how once a candidate is ahead of another, that all of those other votes are useless...never considered again in the election.

The government really likes to raise the deficit...they really need to buckle down for 4 or 8 years and try to use some tax money to get themselves a little out of the hole they are in. At this point I honestly feel they should cut down on luxury programs like NASA space exploration and use all of that money for things the country needs now.

In the case of FDR, it was working at the time, but that alone I believe would have never have solved the depression...it was the war that did this for us.

Topics always branch out and seem to fall astray from what was originally said, sometimes it can't be helped. My other post you quoted was a response to the post you made after about why they would need to know the answers or ask questions and why we ask "impossible questions". I did put a little much detail in there, but basically from my post I said that they would ask these kind of questions because it is outside of their area of what they would consider "normal" or "correct" in their view due to their upbringing (and for impossible questions I suggested it was either emotional release, that they want to believe someone can answer it, or for laughs). Although after much talks about the government we are getting kind of far from the original thread post, so I'll try to keep any future posts about anything else to an absolute minimum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Critical Thinking Question   

Back to top Go down

Critical Thinking Question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1