Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterPublic FFRLog in

Have I got permission or not?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MarioNintendo

MarioNintendo

Have I got permission or not? Empty
PostSubject: Have I got permission or not?   Have I got permission or not? Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 1:43 am

I wanna step a song from Oscar Peterson for FFR. I felt FFR was missing some blues and that this had enough potential to be stepped.

This:

I just read this thread by devonin and now I'm not sure about wether I have permission or not to use this song and also about where I'd ask to get it.

Here are the facts:

- Peterson is Canadian
- He died in 2007
- The song he's playing is an interpretation of "I Can't Get Started" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Can't_Get_Started), composed by Vernon Duke (1903 - 1969) in 1936
- I can't find any kind of mp3 file for this interpretation on the net, so I guess it was done in a live show and not recorded on a CD. Was the show published on DVD, I have no idea. Hell, it's not even listed on his Wikipedia page. However, another version from can be found here from an actual CD on LastFm:

http://www.last.fm/music/Oscar+Peterson/Pastel+Moods

IDK, guys. This is a neat song, but it gets a bit confusing about wether or not this is a published live act and wether or not I could use it. So I'm asking you all: is there some kind of detail I overlooked that would tell me where to look at in order to know the permission status of the song? Thank you.

Last edited by MarioNintendo on January 17th 2011, 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
~Zeta~
~Zeta~

PostSubject: Re: Have I got permission or not?   Have I got permission or not? Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 1:46 am

FROM JANUARY 1st 1958 AND ON IS COPYWRITTEN AND YOU MUST GET PERMISSION TO USE no matter who made it, where you live, where they lived, anything. If they died from 1958 on, automatically you need permission to use it.

Died in 1969. Puts the cap on it. You have to get the rights from the record company or owner of rights to that song.
Back to top Go down
MarioNintendo

MarioNintendo

PostSubject: Re: Have I got permission or not?   Have I got permission or not? Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 1:47 am

I thought that the fact this was almost a remix changed things a bit. Oh well! See ya in 11 years Razz
Back to top Go down
~Zeta~
~Zeta~

PostSubject: Re: Have I got permission or not?   Have I got permission or not? Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 1:50 am

It's just another thing down the line. He died in 2007 and duke died in 1969. Either way, Oscar had to get permissions (through "buying" the piece/giving it credit) from Duke.
Back to top Go down
MarioNintendo

MarioNintendo

PostSubject: Re: Have I got permission or not?   Have I got permission or not? Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 1:52 am

That's really a shame. I thought I found the golden mine! On the other hand, have ya got any idea of an artist who would provide the same kind of songs?
Back to top Go down
~Zeta~
~Zeta~

PostSubject: Re: Have I got permission or not?   Have I got permission or not? Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 1:54 am

Piano or any instrument?
Back to top Go down
MarioNintendo

MarioNintendo

PostSubject: Re: Have I got permission or not?   Have I got permission or not? Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 1:54 am

Anything clear enough so that I can poop arrows out of it, really!! Razz
Back to top Go down
~Zeta~
~Zeta~

PostSubject: Re: Have I got permission or not?   Have I got permission or not? Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 2:00 am

One off the top of my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ0QCdF59Tk

EDIT: Somewhere along those lines. You might be able to find an artist that remastered it. Quality is bad but it's a start.
Back to top Go down
MarioNintendo

MarioNintendo

PostSubject: Re: Have I got permission or not?   Have I got permission or not? Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 2:08 am

0_0

I want moar. Seriously, don't hide this kind of stuff, Mickey, it's awesome!!

It's late for tonight, but make some kind of thread in the future Razz Songs to step, idk... I'm definitely going to look at this one!!
Back to top Go down
~Zeta~
~Zeta~

PostSubject: Re: Have I got permission or not?   Have I got permission or not? Icon_minitimeJanuary 17th 2011, 2:20 am

There's a thread here: https://dragonsfury.forumotion.net/t26-song-stepping-suggestions

People get selections from here sometimes. If anything, it can be used to ask for a genre or something to step.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have I got permission or not?   Have I got permission or not? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Have I got permission or not?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Rhythm Games :: FFR General talk-
Jump to: