Share | 

Trust vs. fraud

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dossar
Simfile Author

PostSubject: Trust vs. fraud   July 10th 2010, 12:22 pm

Quote :
As Shakespeare would say, it is "much ado about nothing." The 2012 doomsday scenarios are nothing but wild speculation by the scientifically challenged. The world isn’t going to end in 2012. The claims that scientists are predicting doomsday in 2012 are lies. Don't worry about it. It is just people making money off books, advertising, "survival kits", and whatever else they can dream up to sell.

There were no ancient prophecies concerning 2012 until they were made up in 2003.

The whole thing started out with unqualified people (Jose Arguelles and Zecharia Sitchen) misinterpreting the Mayan calendar (it doesn’t end, it merely recycles) and ancient Sumerian writings about the planet Jupiter. Then a woman named Nancy Lieder, who thinks she hears messages from aliens in her head claimed that “Planet X” would return in 2003. When that imaginary planet (unsurprisingly) failed to appear on schedule, she decided to hijack Sitchen's imaginary planet for her alien fantasies. She changed her doomsday to 2012 to agree with Arguelles unique interpretation (unique in this case meaning that no actual Mayanist scholar agrees with it) of the Mayan calendar. It has been all downhill from there. People keep tacking on new fantasies, none of which have a shred of scientific validity.

They make up new scenarios of doom faster than scientists can debunk them, and they actually claim that scientists are saying these things. No scientist is claiming any doomsday scenario for 2012. Also, all the claims of prophecies for 2012 are false. No one predicted it before this bunch of scam artists started it to make money. They just throw in some scientific sounding terms, slam them together into a mishmash of meaningless prattle and figure if they can't dazzle you with brilliance, they will baffle you with bullshit. Don't be fooled by that.

Unfortunately, the History Channel, which used to be a reputable information source, gave up their credibility for better ratings and jumped on the 2012 bandwagon. Too many kids believe everything they see on the internet and are unable to discern a reputable scientific website from a crackpot one.

This whole pile of garbage just keeps growing. Don't worry about it. It is just people making money off books, advertising, "survival kits", and whatever else they can dream up to sell.

Here is a really good website that covers all the various claims about 2012 and about the charlatans who are promoting it. Go to it and read about the things that have you concerned. They give sources for their information and they aren't selling anything. The others are NASA Senior Scientist Dr. David Morrison, Dr. Donald Yeomans of JPL Near Earth Object Program, and Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Director of the Hayden Planetarium, all saying that the 2012 tripe is false.
Source(s):
http://www.2012hoax.org/
http://astrobiology.nasa.gov/ask-an-astrobiologist/
http://www.universetoday.com/2009/11/11/2012-nasas-scientific-reality-check/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJjQMwEjC1I

Got this off Yahoo (And I looked at the sources too). There's just something I have to ask you guys after reading something like this: Some people try to make up their own wacky ideas for money and fame. The same can be said for the 2012 rumor. Why would a lot of people still believe this so called "Doomsday" prediction if there are many sources that can be used to break it, let alone use the previous doomsday predictions too?

If that one is apparently too obvious, I have another question. Why does the majority of society tend to believe what they're told and not bother to question it? Many people are only aware of what the media tells them. Television and newspapers have been known to exagerrate issues just for higher ratings; why do people still put all their trust in them then?
Back to top Go down
Halogen-

PostSubject: Re: Trust vs. fraud   July 10th 2010, 5:15 pm

Interesting.

I can say that many people don't question it simply because the media doesn't seem to filter out even the most scandalous claims for anything that would massively affect the way we live. Everyone finds their news through "big-name" news companies and/or radio shows, which don't entirely care for the well being of their people, but only their ratings (they just pretend to). As stupid as it might sound, I feel that it's one thing to blame. The term "news cover-up" does more than enough to at show why I feel this way.

But enough about that.

I find it a bit odd that the media will report on slews of hysterical theories, but does very little to counteract these messes of false statements and issues. I do believe some sort of cataclysmic event will take place upon the Earth with the lack of care of its state in the past, but nowhere in the near future. The scientists responsible for coming up with this information to debunk these theories need to find some way to collaborate with each other and bring it to the media rather than letting all of these theories with no substantial evidence filter through and frighten the world. It's simple to scare people with threatening information, but it's just as easy to ween them off of that information with concrete evidence.

じしf_, )ノ

2010 People: Most Helpful Poster, Smartest Poster
2010 Threads: Best Signature
2010 "The Game": Most Talented, Best Stepfile (Made in Saitama), Worst Stepfile (Myriagon [Oni]), Best Stepartist

2010 Hall of Fame Winner

Back to top Go down
ƒoxƒire667

PostSubject: Re: Trust vs. fraud   July 11th 2010, 6:22 pm

Well, in terms of America anyway, people seem to take the first negative thing they see and usually (without thinking about looking for more proof) disregard credibility and jump right into the whole band wagon of insanity. Most people don't think that large companies would stoop low enough to break news on bogus thoughts on the world's demise to make a few extra dollars, and probably think "I seen this on CNN or FOX news, so it must have enough credibility to be true!" Plus with the internet anyone can post up pretty much anything, and people are unable to determine the credible places from the scams...so when they see something like the world's demise, there is a good chance they will start buying into it. If it hits mainstream media...odds are there will always be people who believe it. I mean, there are still millions of people who believe that the moon landing was hoax, and that we've never been there...no matter how ludicrous that is, so a doomsday prophesy is still something I can imagine people getting into.

I would imagine why they don't bother to question it is simply because they probably figure "Well, if some top notch place is reporting about it, then it MUST be true" or "Well, someone who has a high title suggested it might be true, so it must be". Like for an example, Scientology. I see it as nothing more than idiocy, but if a big name celebrity joins for whatever reason, people start to come in packs because they figure either it must be true, or because they want to be like them. Most people rely so much on mainstream media, that they pretty much let it tell them what to believe, do, wear, like, etc, so wouldn't they believe in one more lie? They don't question because of their over trust of faith in the source they got it from.

PS: I bet if I could go mainstream and say that President Obama is making a deal with Iraq to trade nuclear secrets for more oil, I bet you tons of people would believe it if I went through the right channels. No matter how ludicrous it may be, with the right hint of bull crap, and through the right media, people will believe it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.killercameraproductions.com
~Zeta~

PostSubject: Re: Trust vs. fraud   August 3rd 2010, 6:49 pm

BS is money. Every article I've read or seen about the doomsday never quoted a well-achieved scientist or even a real scientist/astronomer. They've all be faked (google their names, good enough for me). If none of the major science magazines write it, I doubt believe this crazy stuff because it's from an unreliable source.

People are ignorant. All of us are in some way, shape, or form. This is just one of the more popular ones. People are like lemmings. Especially the news areas. This whole Doomsday thing was cracked by an amateur who "guessed" at what the Mayan calendar said. I REALLY do not think it's been translated correctly or inferred correctly. There's far too many variables of what some symbols and what the Mayans actually meant. Recently (last year or so), they've discovered more about it but that was blown off because that was old news and people were too hooked on 2012.

I just wish more people had common sense then logical and theological thinking.

[09:59:00] kjwkjw : "omg 24th trill --- whew it's ove-- omg rainbow stream -- whew it's ov-- omg minijacks -- whew it's ove-- omg quad -- whew the song's ove-- omg placeholder note *dies"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trust vs. fraud   

Back to top Go down

Trust vs. fraud
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1