HomePortalRegisterPublic FFRLog in

Share | 

"Aliens may pose risks to Earth"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
_{TrickyDisco}_

PostSubject: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 26th 2010, 8:30 pm

I found this to be quite interesting but I don't know what to think of it.... here is the source http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36769422/ns/technology_and_science-space/

LONDON - British physicist Stephen Hawkingsays aliens are out there, but it could be too dangerous for humans to interact with extraterrestrial life.

Hawking claims in a new documentary titled "Into the Universe With Stephen Hawking" that intelligent alien life forms almost certainly exist — but warns that communicating with them could be "too risky."

"We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet," Hawking said. "I imagine they might exist in massive ships ... having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonize whatever planets they can reach.”

The 68-year-old scientist said a visit by extraterrestrials to Earth might well be like Christopher Columbus arriving in the Americas, "which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."

He speculated that most extraterrestrial lifewould be similar to microbes, or small animals. Microbial life might exist far beneath the Martian surface, where liquid water is thought to trickle through the rock. Marine creatures might also conceivably live in huge oceans of water beneath a miles-thick layer of ice on Europa, a moon of Jupiter.

But if a scientific census could be extended beyond our solar system to the rest of the Milky Way and beyond, the odds in favor of life's existence rise dramatically, Hawking said.

"To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational," he said. “The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like."

Hawking said an attack by interstellar predators is just one of the dismaying possibilities in the search for intelligent life beyond Earth. Another possibility is that intelligence itself might be inimical to life. Hawking pointed out that humanity has put itself on the edge of its own destruction by creating nuclear bombs and other weapons of mass destruction.

Searching for E.T.'s area code
As tantalizing as the prospect of life on Mars is, the Red Planet isn’t the only place where alien organisms may lurk.
"If the same holds for intelligent aliens, then they might not last long," he said. "Perhaps they all blow themselves up soon after they discover that E=mc2. If civilizations take billions of years to evolve, only to vanish virtually overnight, then sadly we've next to no chance of hearing from them."

Hawking has become one of the world's best-known scientists — not just because of his theoretical work on cosmology and black holes, but also because he has achieved so much while coping with a paralyzing neural disease for most of his life. In recent years he has become a prominent advocate for space travel, contending that humans must journey into the heavens and going through zero-gravity training himself.

"Into the Universe With Stephen Hawking" had its television premiere in the United States on the Discovery Channel on Sunday, and is due for broadcast in Britain next month.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/chargerfanCD94
xBBx Takedown

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 26th 2010, 8:38 pm

If found this interesting you are foolish for even believing that there is such things as aliens.
Back to top Go down
_{TrickyDisco}_

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 26th 2010, 8:42 pm

Its an opinion and you don't know for sure. Plus I'd take Steven Hawkings opinion over your's any day.
Back to top Go down
xBBx Takedown

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 26th 2010, 8:55 pm

Lol. Well obviously you will because he is a scientist I'm not. But several other people have proved him wrong already.
Back to top Go down
Saphira

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 26th 2010, 9:01 pm

xxR3volutiion wrote:
If found this interesting you are foolish for even believing that there is such things as aliens.

You are foolish to shun the possibility of other life out there. Think about it every one of those stars out there could be a sun to another planet like earth. Don't sit there and down someone when the possibility is very real. The odds of them having the capabilities to get to our planet are probably not good but it doesn't mean they don't exist.

xxR3volutiion wrote:
Lol. Well obviously you will because he is a scientist I'm not. But several other people have proved him wrong already.

Who has proved him wrong? We don't have the capability to explore all that much of space. We can only get so far.

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 26th 2010, 9:28 pm

There are definitely aliens. Space is too big for us to be the only life in the universe.
There are definitely NOT aliens who know we're here, let alone could get to us. Space, as they say, is big. Since faster-than-light travel and teleportation are impossible, it would take tens (at best) to a hundred thousand (within our galaxy) years to reach us.

It's interesting because it's exactly what humans would do. Remember the colonies--people explored new territories, enslaved populations, and pillaged for resources.

Last edited by Zyroplex on April 26th 2010, 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
XxShortboyownzxX

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 26th 2010, 9:33 pm

Well First.....thiis isnt an opinion it a fact: The possiblilty of life anywhere outside of earth and beyond is majorly gigantic. IF theres a google amount of planets and galaxies out there then how could not even one have life? we do....which brings me to Rob. thinking that there isnt is ridiculous.

Last edited by XxShortboyownzxX on April 26th 2010, 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
_{TrickyDisco}_

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 26th 2010, 9:38 pm

XxShortboyownzxX wrote:
Well First.....thiis isnt an opinion it a fact: The possiblilty of life anywhere outside of earth and beyond is majorly gigantic. IF theres a google amount of planets and galaxies out there then how could not even one have life? we do....which brings me to Rob..no offence but what you just said makes you a huge idiot.
By opinion I meant believing in them or not
Back to top Go down
XxShortboyownzxX

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 26th 2010, 10:23 pm

So what do yall think about time travel...do yall think its possible?
Back to top Go down
_{TrickyDisco}_

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 26th 2010, 10:41 pm

It's irrational to me but considering that we've even came remotely close to the speed of lite lead's me to believe that it is.
Back to top Go down
xBBx Takedown

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 26th 2010, 10:45 pm

I bet we could lol.
Back to top Go down
XxShortboyownzxX

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 26th 2010, 10:48 pm

It sounds like a really bad weapon....imagine if people can travel time and fuck things up in your past or future.
Back to top Go down
_{TrickyDisco}_

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 28th 2010, 1:02 am

If they were to make a time machine by the time we would be able to it would be fool proof, as in your cant fuck things up haha
Back to top Go down
Bethy

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 28th 2010, 1:18 am

Wow, really people? >.>

Edit: The Bible makes it clear that God created the Earth to be inhabited only..

So no, there is no such thing as extra terrestrial life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many who claim that extraterrestrial life exists throughout the universe, and therefore they claim that the Bible must be discredited as a result, due to its implications that physical life was created for the first time on planet earth.

From a Christian perspective however, the stars and galaxies would be inhabited by angels, both standing and fallen angels, however physical beings such as humans and animals would NOT have been CREATED on other worlds. For according to the Bible , it was God's plan to CREATE man first on EARTH and no where else. That is, planet earth being the "cradle" of all physical life. Yet, as some have said, does one necessarily remain in the "cradle" forever?

So then, if there ARE human or animal beings living on other planets, then according to Christian thought they would HAVE to have ultimately been descended from Adam and Eve, or from one of the many animal species that Jehovah originally created and placed in the Garden of Eden.

But does this mean that human beings do NOT exist on other worlds? No, it simply means that IF THEY DO exist, then they would ultimately have descended from Adam-Eve, or more realistically from the descendants of Noah, for before the flood there may not have been a visible cosmos to aim towards, but rather a thick canopy of watery vapor. In other words, no visible stars and thus no visible goal for potential "ancient astronauts" to set their "sights" on.

The antediluvians were, therefore, probably more interested in exploring INNER SPACE than OUTER SPACE. Another scriptural reference stating that the ARK contained ALL of the PHYSICAL life in the universe [at least until that physical life spread once again throughout the world and -- some believe -- throughout the stars] can be found in Genesis chapter 6, vs. 17: "..even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy ALL FLESH, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven."

Take note of the words "ALL FLESH".

Now of course this will not set well with those who are adamant in believing that the universe is one big accident, those who resist the thought that an Infinite "God" is fully in charge of the universe, its creation, development, and destiny. Many people, whether due of self-deifying thoughts and/or out of fear of being accountable to a perfect, infinite being, will reject the belief in an Infinite and perfect being who is -- in spite of the fact that humans are bestowed with free agency -- nevertheless in full control even though "God" has given the creation the power to CHOOSE between the perfect plan of the Almighty, or our own imperfect plans.

This is all. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/BethyNichole
XxShortboyownzxX

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 28th 2010, 2:52 am

Nice info Beth i agree with some stuff and disagree with some stuff. Plus i have gone through many religious bouts and discussions. I am not even gonna try to argue between Science and Religion. It pointless to do, they can never mix, just choose one and live your life..simple. Im sure someones going to argue about what you wrote though lol.
Back to top Go down
Bethy

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 28th 2010, 2:59 am

XxShortboyownzxX wrote:
I am not even gonna try to argue between Science and Religion. It pointless to do, they can never mix, just choose one and live your life..simple. Im sure someones going to argue about what you wrote though lol.

I agree and I know that, but I don't care. I still believe what I want to believe and I always will. And they can to. But that doesn't mean I can't state my opinion right? We all have different ones anyways in our own minds... I'm not trying to start any arguements, I was just putting some more info out there other than just "theories". I said what I wanted and that's all I'm going to say. So carry on.
Back to top Go down
XxShortboyownzxX

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 28th 2010, 3:11 am

Yeah im not disrepecting you and im glad that you stated your opinion. Even though God IS a theory babe.....there is no solid proof....just like the theories of aliens.
Back to top Go down
Bethy

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 28th 2010, 3:22 am

There IS proof all around you, just look outside. Lol. ;P So yeah. God is not a theory.

Edit: Besides, you told me you believed in God, yet now you're saying he's a theory? Hmmm >.> Lol.
Back to top Go down
XxShortboyownzxX

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 28th 2010, 3:36 am

I do Believe in God, but looking outside doesnt prove it for me.....it proves that matter exists..comes from is my scientific side :p.
Back to top Go down
Bethy

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 28th 2010, 3:45 am

So you're still on the line.

Edit: Could say alot more but I'm going to stop, because me and Oliver invade the threads and have convos too much, which I call cross-talk. O.o Lol Toodlooo
Back to top Go down
XxShortboyownzxX

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 28th 2010, 3:56 am

Yeah we got used to each other so yeah enough chit chat about the subext for now and let other people post opinions.
Back to top Go down
_{TrickyDisco}_

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 28th 2010, 12:00 pm

Could this be the actual version of 2012?.....attacked by nomad Aliens, thats a pretty bad ass way to die lmao.
Back to top Go down
XxShortboyownzxX

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 28th 2010, 4:22 pm

Wow i totally don't see the 2012 thing happening at all in my opinion......but we will just have to wait and see.
Back to top Go down
_{TrickyDisco}_

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 28th 2010, 9:24 pm

Yeah, I don't really believe in it either but it's always in the back of my mind.
Back to top Go down
XxShortboyownzxX

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 28th 2010, 9:57 pm

If aliens actually come to try to invade our planet i would stand and fight. Ive played enough zombies games and paintball sessions lol.
Back to top Go down
_{TrickyDisco}_

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   April 28th 2010, 11:16 pm

To be honest I would hide like a pussy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Aliens may pose risks to Earth"   

Back to top Go down

"Aliens may pose risks to Earth"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1